|Chapter 10: Special Topics, Future Technology, Professional Career Options, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Trends|
This is the companion website for Chapter 10: Special Topics, Future Technology, Professional Career Options, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Trends from the book Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for Disaster Management (second edition). This page contains links to any technical video walk throughs contained in the chapter, slides for the chapter, chapter test questions, and other additional materials.
This forward looking, concluding chapter covers four topics. The first are a collection of special geographic information systems (GIS) for disaster management special topics that include (a) big data, (b) machine learning and artificial intelligence, (c) virtual reality and augmented reality, and (d) Geographic Information Science for disaster management that includes an interview with the executive director of the University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS). The second topic is the future of GIS for disaster management as defined by a research agenda as well as ideas for research funding sources and proposal writing advice. The third chapter section provides advice on developing a GIS for disaster management career and how to find a job in the field, with a strong emphasis on taking an interdisciplinary approach to pursuing a job in the GIS for disaster management field as well as keeping an open mind and being flexible with career pursuit. The final chapter section covers organizations, conferences, journals and magazines, training and education, and volunteer opportunities to keep current in the GIS for disaster management field. The chapter concludes with a technical exercise on classifying hurricane damage imagery with machine learning.
Chapter Objectives: Upon chapter completion, readers should be able to:
- understand selected special topics for geographic information systems (GIS) and disaster management;
- develop an appreciation for the future of GIS for disaster management;
- discern specific advice on building a career in GIS for disaster management;
- understand how to stay current in the field of GIS for disaster management using a variety of mechanisms such as organizational membership, conferences, journals and magazines, training education, and volunteer opportunities.
Follow these links to access Chapter 10: Special Topics, Future Technology, Professional Career Options, and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Trends materials:
- Chapter 10 Slides (.pptx, 2.8 mb)
- Exercise 10-1: Classifying Hurricane Damage Imagery with Machine Learning video walkthrough
- Chapter 19 Test Bank (.docx, 20 kb) | Chapter 10 Test Bank (.pdf, 138 kb)